Wednesday, September 6, 2017

KarKar...

Ah, Kar Kar!
Or Boubakar Traoré, the Master of elegant simplicity. Noone can make such heartbreaking lyrics and chords with more economy  and depth. Not even Dylan. I just listened to Dylan and Johnny Cash on You Tube singing



If you're travelin' in the north country fair
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine
how marvellous.

and KarKar only needs to sing:


I Taara Santa Maryia, I ka Mai fo N’ye…If you go to Santa Maria, be sure to greet Mai for me..(in my dodgy Bambara translation.)

to convey the same thing...


And with such minimal means Kar Kar
makes me cry, and I am not the only one...





1 comment:

  1. Agreed. What a wonderful voice that goes deep into your heart. Baba Maal can have the same effect for me.

    ReplyDelete