Thursday, September 14, 2017

Ladbroke Grove



Overlooking once more the familiar sky line from my flat in London where  I have just moved in again.  After eleven years with only sporadic and short visits back here, between tenants, I am now officially a Ladbroke Grove Resident again. When I bought this flat back in 2002, I had two flats to chose between, equally good. I chose this one because of Van Morrison and his lovely song Slim Slow Slider from Astral Weeks.  (Yes, I am that silly)....... :
‘ Saw you walking down by the Ladbroke Grove this morning…saw you early this morning, with your brand new boy and your Cadillac’.
I have not regretted my whimsical choice. I love my  little flat, and it has always seemed romantic to me, to live on Ladbroke Grove…

And tomorrow I‘m picking up on something else from my old pre-Mali life : I am travelling up to Bishop Auckland, by Darlington in Northern England, where I will visit Auckland Castle, and perhaps begin a commission to recreate a historical painted floorcovering  called a floorcloth, or oilcloth, an ancestor to linoleum and a little known part of design history in which I would be able to  claim to be a world expert, if it didn’t sound so pretentious. Oh, what the hell : I AM an expert. I  spent two years researching this  at the Royal College of Art, History of Design Department and ended up writing a thesis that gained me an M.Phil. But in the last few years I have not made any of these recreations, since I have been ensconced in deepest Mali. So let’s see what happens…

 A couple of days later.
Castle Auckland has been the seat of the bishops of Durham for almost a thousand years, until 2010, when the Church of England decided to sell it. It is now owned by  the Auckland Castle Trust and is being restored to be opened to the public in May 2018. I am standing in the dining room where in the late eighteenth century the architect James Wyatt was commissioned by the then incumbent,  Bishop Barrington,  to put in the neo-gothic window behind me, amongst other improvements. At that time the inventory tells us that an 'oil cloth' was added to the room. That is where I now come in to the equation. This 'oil cloth' would most probably have been painted to imitate an oriental carpet, or a 'Turkey Carpet' as it was called.There is no mention of a pattern, but we can assume that it was fairly elaborate in such a grand room, the walls of which houses twelve Zurbaran paintings depicting Jacob and his twelve sons. I will now revisit my old haunts and do some research at the V&A in the National Arts Library for suitable patterns. How nice!
Below Wyatt' s drawing for the Dining room.



Meanwhile, back in Mali, the little Timbuktu crew is continuing the digitization training in Bamako…here are some first pictures :

 Youssouf Traoré, to the left, is going to work on the meta data which accompanies the images. He is fluent in Arabic, French and English.  We have a very good crew for Timbuktu. they will be heading home next week, to begin, finally the work which was delayed by the terrorist attack in August.

8 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful report. You are as talented as you are indefatigable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night at supper Sophie said with typical self-deprecation that she's 'just a dilettante'. But you gathered, Sue, that she is, for a start, one of the world's leading authorities on floorcloths. And there's more...

      Delete
    2. Thank you both so much, as ever, for your support and for looking in!

      Delete
  2. Zurbaran in Castle Auckland! I had no idea. I like him a lot. I´ve just seen a short documentary about it. What about a documentary on your recreation of the floorcloth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Please come over- that would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The corkscrew you so badly need in Ladbroke Grove has arrived by post here, for some weird reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!We have had at least two desperate emergencies here, with no corkscrew, so I finally decided to order one on ebay. But forgot I had to change the address! I changed it on the other three purchases, otherwise you would have had a Hoover, a Loo Brush and a MagiMix as well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best loo brush - from Ikea, wittily called Farage. But seriously, eBay for a CORKSCREW??

    ReplyDelete